Provided Services & Social Activities
Included in your participation fee*:
- All costs for the lecturers and lecture hall reservations
- All costs related to lecture-related activities (field trips and excursions)
- All costs related to extra-curricular activities (architecture city tour of Vienna, Viennese waltzing lesson, movie night, tour of Schönbrunn Castle and gardens, and evening lectures about sustainable economics)
- Catered events (opening and closing ceremonies, traditional wine tavern dinner)
- Public transport tickets for the duration of the summer university
- Light refreshments during the lectures
- Fully furnished accommodation in an OeAD-Passive House student dormitory with the option to extend the stay an extra week at no extra cost
*Subject to change according to Austrian COVID-19 measures in place next summer
All participants must pay for the following:
- Travel tickets to Vienna
- Insurances (health and household insurance)
- Food and laundry during their stay in Austria
- Costs for obtaining a visa for Austria, only if needed
Fee for the GBS summer university
Regular participation fee:
- for professionals: EUR 2.490,- (incl. VAT)
- for students: EUR 2.000,- (incl. VAT)
Scholarship recipient: EUR 490,- (incl. VAT)
Green.Building.Solutions. is organized by the OeAD student housing together with the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna and is a not for profit initiative. The academic course is a 3-week summer program on master-level. For successful participation students get an official certificate (7 ECTS) from the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna.
Energy efficient housing: Students will have the possibility to live in one of Vienna's newest enegy-efficient dormitories for the whole duration of the Summer University plus an additional week before or after the program - all without added cost.
Early Bird Tickets!
We have a special goodie for you!
Register until April 1, 2021 and pay a reduced participation fee!
- Professionals pay EUR 2.240,- instead of EUR 2.490,- (incl. VAT)
- Students pay EUR 1.750,- instead of EUR 2.000,- (incl. VAT)
Don't miss out on this offer and apply today!
So far, the G.B.S. summer program hosted more than 180 participants from over 80 nations! The backgrounds from the participants - coming from all around the world for this special training course in sustainable architecture and building science - are among others:
- Engineers: building, process, mechanical, energy, civil, electrical, ...
- Architects, urban planners, constructors ...
- Economists, marketers, project developers.
We also invite people with study fields like resource planning, ecology, landscape planning to apply for the summer program. Our focus lies on academics as well as on professionals. If you are a professional who can only participate for a shorter period of time please contact us and ask for special conditions.
Student Scholarship Program
We cooperate with several companies and organizations to provide student grants for outstanding applicants in need of financial aid. Selected students could participate in the program for as little as Euro 490,--! .
Requirements to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Masterlevel and field of study
- Average of grades and study progress
- Experiences in fields of architecture, planning and other relevant topics (basic knowledge in building physics, etc. is needed)
- Qualification, motivation letter, aptitude
- Very good English language skills.
Be sure to apply early!
Please be aware that you only can apply for a scholarship, if you are a still a student (and not a professional /employee). If you are already full time working, probably there is a way to be funded by your employer to take part in Green.Building.Solutions., as the company might also take advantage from the knowledge you gain in the summer course.
Our scholarship program is partly financed by our partner companies and organisations.
Certificate & grading
Students have the possibility to get an official certificate on 7 ECTS-credits from the University of National Resources and Life Sciences Vienna (BOKU) after a successful completion. For foreign students this certificate needs to be acknowledged by the home university, if you are not sure about the procedure - please ask at your home university in advance. Everybody who takes part in the 3-week-program gets an official certificate for participation from the organiser.
Project work in teams: During the third week of the summer university there is a final project work (done in groups), on the basis of that design work, the participants are graded. In 2019 the topic was "Re-compaction, mixed use and sustainability in suburban areas: Topping up a supermarket". The Vienna City Council has decided that one-storey buildings, which are mainly used for commercial purposes, need to be replaced gradually by mixed-use buildings (living, working, and learning). Additionally, parking spaces will be designed so that they can be built over to save space. Nevertheless, single-storey commercial properties are permanently under construction. In Vienna, around 100 supermarkets have been built in recent years: if it would be possible, to build on these roofs, 300,000 m2 of building land would be available without having to seal additional land.
Each team submitted detailed drawings for one building on one A0 page following a given template. The aim of the project is to achieve an annual zero energy balance. Find some examples of the final posters of the projects 2020 here.
After the application
After a successful application you will receive a nomination via email. In general admissions (as well as the scholarship assignments) will be sent after the end of the regular application period. The participation fee shall be paid within two weeks after nomination for the participation to the contracting partner OeAD student housing (payment details will be transmitted in the nomination mail). Please transfer the participation fee within one week after receiving the nomination.
The OeAD Student Housing Withdrawal or Deferral Refund Policy applies from the moment of nomination, acceptance and payment of the fee. The participation can be cancelled until two weeks before the programm starts for a cancellation fee of 20%. If the participation is cancelled within two weeks before the programm starts, the cancellation fee will be 50%. No refunds can be given after the starting of the programm.
Additonal and personal expenses, insurance and flight to Vienna are not included, but if you would like to stay longer, you are offered an additional week (after the Summer School) for free at one of the OeAD students houses. Please do indicate that at the very beginning of the application procedure, so that we can book your room for the exact time of your stay! If you want to stay longer than one additional week we will accomodate you for an extra charge.
Event Flyer 2021