Program Summer University
In terms of a holistic approach the program is divided in three modules, each focusing on one specific topic. In the third week there is the design workshop dealing with an actual topic of Vienna’s architecture and with a final project presentation at the closing event.
This is the final program of the previous summer school 2016. The program in three modules for the upcoming course will be published in spring 2017.
To get an impression, what you might expect from the 3-week program, please have a look at our report from 2016 and the previous years.
Below please find the report of the 6th Green.Building.Solutions. Summer University 2016.
Project Report 2015:
Project Report 2014:
Learning objectives of the course
1. Understand the origin of resources and the respective use as well as the integration in buildings
2. Learn about the relationships between buildings and their context
3. Create an understanding for the necessity of interdisciplinary cooperation to realize green building strategies
Module 1 – Sustainability in Building and Urban Planning: This module covers a general introduction of sustainable development, socioeconomic and regional aspects of sustainable constructing, the role of organisations concerning the support of sustainable development, sustainability as a key factor for the real estate market, sustainable spatial planning concepts in the European context, inclusion- and exclusion processes in sustainable spatial planning, social sustainability in the context of spatial planning, gender planning criteria, etc.
Module 2 – Principles of Passivhausplanning: The essential contents are an introduction into sustainable architecture, passive house planning, IEAA-Tool, grey energy, light and massive construction, national and international building standards, daylight planning in buildings, light lab, integrated planning and solar constructing, passive houses in different climatic regions and the constructive adaption of passive house technologies, architecture in the context of ecological and sustainable planning and building concepts, future perspectives of ecological architectural concepts, etc.
Module 3: Renewable Energies and Business Concepts: The contents of this module are building technologies and automatisation, HVAC, energy efficiency in buildings, control mechanisms in buildings, decentred application possibilities in smart buildings, dynamic thermal simulations in the planning process, thermal efficiency, heat pumps, innovative cooling strategies, photovoltaic, eco-balance in buildings, different quality labels, etc.
Content of lectures
The following learning objectives are content of the three week course:
- Sustainable urban and settlement development, spatial planning for increased quality of life (including: mobility, open space planning, energy supplies and renewable energies, waste management)
- Resource-optimized building concepts
- Fundamentals of planning for resource-optimized building concepts
- Passivhaus and Energy Plus Buildings
- Healthy Building
- Thermal comfort and air quality
- Daylight planning
- Buliding envelope, renewable construction materials (NAWAROs)
- Building Services Engineering
- Control systems, automatization
- Certification of buildings, quality control
- Sociological aspects, impact of utilizers
Implementation of the lecture content in practical design
In terms of planning goals these assessment categories will be integrated in the final project work, where a green building shall be designed by the participant groups – applying the content of the 3 modules.
Background and genesis